NP 2-Story Standard Plan Class C Depot - N Scale: When the NP was constructed many passing sidings were remote or nearby towns were very small, so the railroad provided quarters for operators and station agents. In 1889-90, J. W. McKendrick, the NP's Chief Engineer, issued an extensive set of standard plans which included a two-story depot with living quarters upstairs. Depot plans were divided into classes designated by number or letter. Depots designated Class A, B, C, and D depots were built with the house track lowered approximately 3.5 feet so that the freight platform was on the same level as the passenger platform. The Class A depots were built at the largest towns, while Class Cs were built where the local service was slight.
The NPRHA Modeling Committee has produced a laser-cut wood kit of a Class C depot in N-Scale. These depots were built at many stations from North Dakota to the shores of the Pacific Ocean with many surviving into the merger era. These kits come with all required wood parts, cast resin chimneys and assembly instructions and exploded drawings on a CD.